A month of Drinking Liberally

May 29, 2014

The next four weeks will be action packed at Drinking Liberally in Minneapolis. Tonight we’ll talk about the upcoming conventions for the DFL and the Republicans, and we’ll do it out on the patio, in the first honest-to-goodness “we can sit outside” DL of the season. Note: We will also be observing the 11th birthday […]

A “Don’t Miss” Drinking Liberally

May 12, 2014

That’s Thursday, May 15th

Keith Ellison at Drinking Liberally

Keith Ellison at Drinking Liberally tomorrow, May the 1st

April 30, 2014

Tomorrow night, Thursday the first of May, Drinking Liberally Minneapolis will be joined by Minnesota’s fifth district US Congressman Keith Ellison. That’s him you see in the picture above. As the co-chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, Congressman Ellison is among the country’s leading progressive voices in Washington and one of our favorite guests at […]

Welcome to the town hall meeting!

April 22, 2014

Senator Melisa Franzen (SD49) and Representative Ron Erhardt (HD49A) held a mid-session town hall meeting at the Edina Community Center on April 21st. Addressing the young crowd in attendance, the two legislators described some of the accomplishments of the session thus far: the anti-bullying bill and the minimum wage bill. There was some discussion of […]

Drinking Liberally on January 23rd

January 20, 2014

An event featuring great music & information about sulfide mining in Northern Minnesota

Drinking Liberally holiday party and Toys for Tots collection

November 30, 2013

With Toy Collecting Santa making his third appearance on the 331 Club stage

2013 Minneapolis Sample Ballot

Going to bat for RCV

October 23, 2013

Some of us, anyway

Drinking Liberally hosts education forum by teachers!

October 12, 2013

Thursday, October 17th; program starts at seven PM

Pulitzer Prize winner Steve Sack at Drinking Liberally

September 20, 2013

Star Tribune cartoonist Steve Sack was the guest at Drinking Liberally last night, September 19th, at the 331 Club in Minneapolis. Steve showed us a couple of dozen of his favorite cartoons and told us a little about how they came to be. (The one above is from a presidential election cycle before the most […]

Comments

On comments – you’re a NIMBY edition

September 13, 2013

Here’s commenter Michael, in a comment on my recent inventory of sulfide mining stories, Sulfide mining stories reprise. If MN is such a bad place for PolyMet & Twin Metal[s] to mine nickel & copper where is a good or the best place to mine for nickel & copper? Steve replies: It seems that the […]

Comments

On comments – Old candidates never die edition

September 10, 2013

Commenter Ned observes, in response to Old candidates never die, a story about the latest installment in Tom Horner and Tim Penny’s serial biliousness in the Sunday Strib: I’ve wondered why the StarTrib publishes these guys. Their analysis is always so shallow or deceiving. I have worked in job training programs for many years; their […]

Comments

On comments – defending Brimstone Mountain edition

September 4, 2013

We rarely ever hear from detractors here at LeftMN; perhaps we don’t have many. [chortle] But we got a critical comment to The forces of grievance and resentment weigh in. Aaron from Duluth (to distinguish him from our, or formerly our, Aaron) writes: Hmmmm, the Shebandowan mine opened in 1972, CEPA was enacted in 1988. […]